How to legally work in Canada

Short analysis of the available options get a job and legally work in Canada. In addition, we briefly describe the current scenario of the Canadian job pool and taxes related to workers within the country. At the end of the article you can find information on how to better understand the equivalencies of your academic credentials in Canada.

It is no secret that the life standards of Canada are among the best in the world. From the great outdoors to modern cities, Canada has a lot to offer to the qualified professional and his/her close family.  As any first world country, salaries are very attractive and unique skills and extensive experience are highly valued.

Working in Canada

What you do not see very often on blogs, articles or official sites, is that the cost of living, taxes and real state are considerably higher than in most developed countries. For example, mid to upper level managerial positions have lower salaries than the United States and Germany. In addition, gas, taxes and groceries are more expensive in Canada.

Overall, Canada is not the best country to become a millionaire on a 9-5 job. Life standards, extremely low crime rates and several other aspects will sure compensate the description above and would even become irrelevant if what you want is life quality over more income. Also, unlike other countries, moving to Canada as a skilled worker is much easier than the United States or the European Union.

It is also important to mention that this comparison cannot be made on the entire country. When you compare san Francisco bay area with Manitoba or nova Scotia in terms of house rentals, the comparison will surely be leaning towards the Canadian side. Consider these factors before thinking about Canada as your next working destination.

Working in Canada

Look into the available options to make Canada your new home as a professional or skilled worker.

What are the current work permits available in Canada?

While depending strictly on your academic credentials or experience, as well as whether you are currently inside Canada or Abroad, these are the most common options:

  • open work permits.
  • employer-specific work permits.
  • Skilled worker program
  • Federal skilled worker program
  • Global talent stream
  • Seasonal Agricultural Worker Program (SAWP),
  • On campus or off campus work for Students

The first two apply for mostly every profession, while the others are labor related. We strongly advice that you review your options and the job pools online in the different provinces in Canada. Every Province has a different and unique labor market from which you can benefit prior to your trip.

Open work permits, which are mostly given to permanent residents and his or her family members, allow individuals to “freely” apply for a job. There are some restrictions whether on the province or the type of work to be performed. Within this category there are unrestricted open work permits, and occupation restricted open work permits. The main difference is that on the occupation restricted open work permit, although the individual can work for any employer, he or she is not allowed to work in some areas such as childcare, health, farming, primary or secondary teaching. These work permits can be requested either from inside Canada or abroad. Among other documents you will have to fill a IMM5710E form  if you are in Canada or a IMM1295E in the  event that you are abroad.

Employer specific work permits are given to individuals who have received a valid job offer in Canada, among other requirements. It is important to say that unless you apply for a Canadian residency while working in Canada with a work permit, you will have to leave the country once the contract ends. In order to enter the country, in addition to the job offer and work permit you need a temporary residence or Electronic Travel Authorization.

Your potential employer gets a Labor Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) which measures the impact of hiring a foreign worker on that specific position. It is mandatory for you to have such document which will be included in the application.

Another option is to apply to the “Express entry”, as a Federal; skilled worker or Quebec skilled worker programs.  This option is based on a set of points given on your language proficiency, work experience and academic credentials among other categories. Information is very important to make the right decision. There are several options and you can even try to apply to more than one. Also, there are multiple sites which include job offers or guidance which will help you make an informed decision. We will write about the specifics on work permits on future articles.

Add comment